The first 500 Moog Grandmother synthesizers have already shipped and are available for order today exclusively through Guitar Center. The Moogfest Edition Grandmother includes a special limited edition Moogfest 2018 badge and includes a redeemable vintage denim Moog jacket.
Grandmother is a sonic playground that harkens back to Moog’s modular roots, where synthesis is not only about the end result, but the journey of discovery and experimentation. Grandmother's semi-modular design ensures that human beings of any skill-level can easily explore and experience the joys and magic of analog synthesis -- start playing immediately with “no patching required”, then explore an infinite sonic playground with Grandmother’s endlessly reconfigurable front panel and analog spring reverb tank.
Grandmother’s circuits, spirit, and spring reverb are inspired by the classic Moog Modular Synthesizers designed by Bob Moog during the 60s and 70s. The elegant simplicity and magic of these early circuits are renewed in Grandmother’s semi-modular analog design, resulting in an unrestricted sonic vocabulary that is both beautiful and powerful.
Grandmother also features an “External Audio Input” that invites users to inject sounds from other instruments directly into Grandmother’s analog filter, reverb and amplifier circuits -- adding vintage tones and ambience to guitars, drums or vocal signals. In addition, Grandmother includes an easy-to-use Arpeggiator and Sequencer for added enjoyment and programmable syncopation.
To explore the sonic possibilities and cosmic context of Grandmother, Moog Music visited the Linear Labs studio of artist-composer Adrian Younge (Black Dynamite, Netflix’s Luke Cage). In this video, Younge gives his personal “Thesis On Sound” while incorporating Grandmother into his retro-inspired creative workflow at Linear Labs.
“It’s our heedless human desire to connect with others that fuels the incendiary need to create sound. Thereupon, sound is a primordial passion we omnipotently share with others, and music is a manifestation of this appetite conveyed with instruments that magnify our message. That magic, at that moment -- is sound.” - Adrian Younge
• Hardware Spring Reverb can be used to process external sounds
• ¼” External audio input for guitars, drum machines, and more.
• Semi-modular - no patching is required
• Easy to use Arpeggiator and Sequencer
• Store up to 3 sequences with up to 256 notes each
• 2 Analog Oscillators with selectable waveshape and hard sync
• Classic 4-Pole 10Hz-20kHz Ladder filter
• Patchable 1-Pole High Pass filter
• Analog ADSR Envelope Generator
• Analog LFO with audio-rate capabilities
• 32-note Fatar keyboard with velocity
• All normalized connections can be interrupted for full modularity
• DIN MIDI In/Out/Thru and USB MIDI
• Patchable bipolar attenuator
• Works with Mother-32, DFAM, Eurorack modular systems and more
• 41 patch points with 21 inputs, 16 outputs and a Parallel-Wired 4-jack Mult
$899 USD / $999 MSRP